Monday, April 4, 2011

I love the library :)

Olivia and I went to the Portland Central Library today.  It has over 17 miles of bookshelves and they have so many books they have a basement full of books they call "the stacks" I had have them get me 2 homeschooling books from "the stacks" today.  Unfortunately the library is located in downtown Portland.  I CANT STAND driving in downtown Portland.  Parking is near to impossible and you have to drive around the block forever to find a parking spot.  I was lucky today and got a spot RIGHT in front of the library.  I am very thankful for that because we ended up getting a tall armful of books and I forgot to bring anything to carry them in.
I wanted to get a bunch of books on butterflies, both fiction and non-fiction but I was having trouble finding them so Olivia and I ended up getting books (non fiction and fiction) about the rainforest.  So we will learn about the rainforest for awhile.  I personally got about 8 different books on homeschooling.  There were more but I had books in my arms as all the way up to my head and I couldn't carry any more lol.

Olivia and I got a "Lets read together" book.  It has a sentence on one page and the next page has one shorter word that rhymes with something on the first page.  Its awesome because Olivia can figure out the words on the next page this way.  If she isn't sure I had her sound out the letters and she was able to read the words.  I was excited to find that book.  I wish we could go to that library more often but that will have to be a "once a month" trip...
I did find out though that as an educator (because I homeschool) I can get an "educator library card".  This card allows you to check out materials for 8 weeks instead of 3.  Which is AWESOME! I sooo love the library.  We then came home and Olivia wanted cereal for lunch...so we did that brushed teeth and I read Olivia 4 books before she went to take a nap.

Now that Olivia is asleep I NEED to do the dishes.  We accumulate sooo many dishes when the boys are here!! And this is just from one day!

2 comments:

  1. I'm absolutely jealous of your library! The one near us is terrible.

    Thanks for the info about the educator library card! I wonder if all libraries offer that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was the first time I had heard about it! It was only because I asked where their books on homeschooling were. The librarian told me then showed me the library website where they have a bunch of links to info on homeschooling and resources and such..the library I was at has 3 stories with multiple HUGE rooms per story sooo I would have been looking awhile lol.

    ReplyDelete