Friday, April 8, 2011

3 hours at the park....

This morning I was hosting a playdate with our playgroup.  It was a "Park and Carseat Check".  I offered to check peoples (in our group) car seats (I'm a car seat tech) while we were at the park.  It turned out to be a beautiful day.  It really warmed up outside!  I think 6 mom's with their kids showed up.  One person had to leave though before I could check her seat.  100% misuse rate which is normal (unfortunately).  Everyone was very grateful and took the information well.  Tomorrow morning I am participating with ACTS Oregon at Kohls for a car seat check even for the community.
We ended up spending 3 hours at the park.  It really takes anywhere from 15-45 minutes per car seat check.  The fastest was 15 minutes but she seemed to know a lot already, I just had a few pointers with the harness tightness and chest clip position and she needed her seat a little tighter in but it was already almost perfect.
This pic is from the park.  Olivia is in the pink hat.


After the park we went home and I grabbed some library books to return (while my neighbor stayed with Olivia at the car) and we drove to the bank so I could deposit some rent money and then we went to the library.  I got a bunch of new books for her.  I also got 2 new signing times that she has never seen.  She wanted to read a LOT before bed.  We didn't really do any "official" schooling today.  We read a ton though and she watched signing time and learned new signs.  She also played outside at the park with my other neighbors while I ran to the store.

I made steak with pepperjack cheese on top and one of the pre-made chicken taco salads, and also garlic bread.  It was soooo good.  I've tried giving Olivia steak before.  She usually just takes a bite and chews it a little and spits it out.  She had about half a steak tonight (and they were fairly thick steaks).  She ate some salad and garlic bread as well.  This is the best I think I've ever seen her eat! She got chocolate pudding for desert and got PJ's on and thats when we read about 4 books sang her usual 3 songs and she went to sleep.

I'm super tired.  I'm going to bed.  I have to be up early for my car seat check tomorrow!!

2 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea for a playgroup!! I was SO surprised to find that my carseat was installed incorrectly when Gauge was first born!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) It surprises most parents how much they learn when they see a tech. There is a lot more to installing a car seat and harnessing a child then just buckling the seat/child in. I love helping others out. Car seats are my passion lol

    ReplyDelete